Old DAWs - nostalgia thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgot about this thread...

An associate was able to cough up an old Arguru Aodix version 2.34 which is rare...

Last one with a sampler & internal FX that are more than adequate...

Loads VSTi but not VST, Internal FX work with the VSTi as well as samples...

Patch Editor has second boxes on many params for MIDI CC ##-

VSTi also have a list & you assign what number you want...

Recording CC from Arturia Mini-Lab OK but TobyBear's MIDI Control Center was smoother plus it's onscreen-

Parametric Equalizer quite potent & MultiBand Dynamics work quite well-

FX definite step-up from the Noisetrekker2/Protrekkr line & way better than about same year (2001) MadTracker & OctaMED which had terrible FX sectors at that time...

Been using Synapse Audio Orion for a long time. I like the workflow. Was the first thing I used that had vst capability. Glad it went 64 bit before it stopped being developed. Use it most days, but have gone over to Cubase 13 which handles vst3. Like reading this thread and remembering Stereomaster tracker, Acid, Making Waves.
Computer Music had a few stabs at making Daws. Anyone remember them?

Yeah, I still use Orion 6.20 prefer DAWs that have step recording capability though like Cakewalk Project5-

Don't hafta remember Making Waves as I still use, has step recording as well-

Making Waves quite the genius DAW, You can make arrangement quite musical... Still for sale but genius developer that was the brainiac died in 2011, quite sad....

There was SQ4 II which never quite took off-

Though joked about Storm 3.0 rather cool-

DreamStation II is combo Tracker-Piano Roller so great at step recording... Also for MIDI Controller CC Curves has vertical lanes in Tracker view whilst VSTi-VST params use separate automation lane in arrangement view...

Also one can change plugin status from instrument to effect or vice versa for any plug-

Tracktion2 cool for MIDI & it's 'Single Page' workflow which is no longer the case-

Those pics all look way better than today's ugly and dark daws. Tracktion almost looks like its not junk!

I still use RaxNTrax, but for hosting only.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Yes, Much nicer then & ideas more original... Tracktion2 quite useful they had rack filters in it by that time... The earlier versions under the 'Raw Material' banner had some issues...

I also have RaxNtraX but have not figgered it out yet... Appears to have power but also a cluster@$#%...

The late Arguru was one to innovate sometimes quite sharply from build to build or version to version...

Here with Freebase .002 being a Tracker-

However version 1 ended up as a piano roller-

Also not to be a 'follower' but would incorporate clever ideas others had into projects... Sometimes the name of the Tracker was a 'feature' like in the tracker 'FastFuck3r 1.5'...

Let us not forget the most efficient of music creation of the time Reason 2.5 from 2003... The beauty of Reason back then was everything just worked like it should, no interfacing incompatibility of VSTs... Thus one could have dozens of tracks even on a slim machine no need for 'bouncing'... 64 MB RAM require but I would not want to run it on that... Reason 3 with the combinator upped required 256 MB RAM...

SkaleTracker was & still is a nice tracker & last update to it (0.81) was in 2004... Much nice tuneage made in it... Has massive mixer, chord mode where notes are spread across separate TRACKS rather than same singular track... 0 step gives a chord strike where any step 1 or up gives arpeggio that changes start point everytime you press chord...

Unfinished for sure SF2s sounded like crap but it also supported Akai which sound GREAT in it... Enough that I make HiQ Akai instruments for it with every semitone sampled... Couple that with the Track Editor being able to draw curves with mouse in realtime recording as well as erase OR with pattern stopped as well...

For sample based akai instruments makes musical in many ways this is just maybe 70% of params-

Back in the day bold developers quite happy to produce strange & cool like Bram Bos Moonfish which was created as a JOKE! a 3 Track Tracker with interesting features-

Tuareg FAT 2.5 rather cool too & compared to alot of other 'closed in' sequencers has powerful FX which make big difference-

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”