Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:38 pm

He is just trying to explain to people how Myth work. And you doing you make it a cause of fight.
He is not minimising at all the fact that it is using samples for resynthesis. He was just trying to be crystal clear for people who may be interested by the synth and not fully understand it that it isn't like a sampler needing sample to work. It is a synth, with a resynthesis function which make it funnier to use.
But that, you said it, he said it and you are just trying to pick a fight when there is none.
Thanks for clearing up the fact that Myth is a synth based on Resynthesis

As for winning and losing you keep on jumping in and attacking me personally in an effort to "win" which has always been my observation about you. You twist yourself into all kinds of knots just insulting others so you can win while others lose in your own mind. So by all means continue to take what I said before about your need to do that out of context you are just proving my point

So congrats you win Myth is based on Resynthesis which needs samples to work

So why the hell is anyone minimizing that fact?

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:56 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:38 pm

He is just trying to explain to people how Myth work. And you doing you make it a cause of fight.
He is not minimising at all the fact that it is using samples for resynthesis. He was just trying to be crystal clear for people who may be interested by the synth and not fully understand it that it isn't like a sampler needing sample to work. It is a synth, with a resynthesis function which make it funnier to use.
But that, you said it, he said it and you are just trying to pick a fight when there is none.
Thanks for clearing up the fact that Myth is a synth based on Resynthesis

As for winning and losing you keep on jumping in and attacking me personally in an effort to "win" which has always been my observation about you. You twist yourself into all kinds of knots just insulting others so you can win while others lose in your own mind. So by all means continue to take what I said before about your need to do that out of context you are just proving my point

So congrats you win Myth is based on Resynthesis which needs samples to work

So why the hell is anyone minimizing that fact?
Ok you won... Damn you are good man... :D

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 pm
databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm yeah, just so we're clear
Myth does not "need" samples to operate
you can do quite a lot with just the default sine wave iris or even use the "wave" module
Sure but it's the Iris that needs samples that makes it unique

Which is exactly why all the marketing materials focus on Resynthesis as does the manual

I can put my family in my car and push it to the store, but it's designed around and engine

And you are right some people are here just to argue like arguing that Myth doesn't need samples to fully function as intended

But since you work for Dawsome maybe you can lecture the people there who make your webpages and who wrote the manual on why they were wrong to focus on Resynthesis and the use of samples in your product

Obviously you seem embarrassed that Myth needs samples to function as intended and want to minimize that reality
IvyBirds you're inspiring a new song:

Surfing on my face
palm
Past the oceanic
trolls...

databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:51 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:32 pm My perspective talking about updates and free updates is that the synths proposed by Dawesome are becoming so good and successful that he could maybe reach a critical size making this possible.
Creating a flaghip that is so successful that it bring other fields of revenue like the extensions for VPS Avenger or preset packs for Spire for example. This is I feel also what Arturia is doing, with Pigments with is creating a kind of flagship brand for them. Nobody can say they don't know synthesis when they have one of the most successful soft synth of the market...
Yes, this is a goal in a sense, it does depend on the success of Myth.
Preset packs are on the way, I'm working on very focussed packs, instead of a "databroth" theme pack of various random favorites of mine, I'm doing a pack focussed solely on keys/plucks, I'll have another for lead/bass, and one for pads/ambience.

this will provide more of an "expansion" feel, where you're filling in sounds you use most rather than a mixed bag that may end up with only 10 plucks.

The more successful Myth is, the easier it is to add features, I just don't feel comfortable making any hard promises, and even less comfortable giving any sort of time line. I'd prefer if people who purchased Myth did so for what it is now, not because they expect stuff to be added.
Imagine if we left features out that are already there just to add them in, does that make it any more valuable?

Personally though, I think adding a couple modules once a year would bring a lot of excitement
That is great to hear. I have seen some of your vids and they are good, curious to hear your presets (or will it be a sample pack (just kidding lol)).

I particularly love these kind of sounds which are easy to do with Myth:

https://youtu.be/1pul2EPfzpw?si=sE7k6bBkMZYMkGwg

Minute 3.20.

(sorry not coming from your video).

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:06 pm That is great to hear. I have seen some of your vids and they are good, curious to hear your presets (or will it be a sample pack (just kidding lol)).

If you like that sound, you should check out "Osmium Replicator" in the factory presets
(there's a 90 day demo if you haven't tried it)

I plan on doing a more advanced preset pack as well, MPE focussed with sound design elements
but first I need to get a lot of the standard stuff out for people. A lot of sounds aren't particularly exciting, but having a solid collection of keys can really make song writing a more dynamic experience
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:24 pm totally understand, I do often feel there is too much expectation for synths to be updated over time
To be fair, a lot of those expectations were raised by Peter himself, and they were definitely a large part of the reason I bought his earlier synths. While I can understand his reasoning that he needs to keep the cash flow going, I too am disappointed that nothing has happened to Abyss or Novum yet.

jm.schloemer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:51 am To be fair, a lot of those expectations were raised by Peter himself, and they were definitely a large part of the reason I bought his earlier synths. While I can understand his reasoning that he needs to keep the cash flow going, I too am disappointed that nothing has happened to Abyss or Novum yet.
Which Abyss or Novum - versions are you using; or are you missing a new feature?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

jm.schloemer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:51 am
databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:24 pm totally understand, I do often feel there is too much expectation for synths to be updated over time
To be fair, a lot of those expectations were raised by Peter himself, and they were definitely a large part of the reason I bought his earlier synths. While I can understand his reasoning that he needs to keep the cash flow going, I too am disappointed that nothing has happened to Abyss or Novum yet.
This is true.

I remember a thread about Novum when it was released where people were talking about various features that could be added and Peter was giving the impression that these would or could be added.

One I’ve wanted in Novum was some kind of pitch offset per grain. That was brought up by someone on a specific thread and I do remember Peter giving the impression that there would be updates to add such features.

I do agree with Databroth that you should always buy a synth based on what it is now but a few added features to existing synths definitely cultivates excitement and maintains interest over a longer time.

databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:15 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:06 pm That is great to hear. I have seen some of your vids and they are good, curious to hear your presets (or will it be a sample pack (just kidding lol)).

If you like that sound, you should check out "Osmium Replicator" in the factory presets
(there's a 90 day demo if you haven't tried it)

I plan on doing a more advanced preset pack as well, MPE focussed with sound design elements
but first I need to get a lot of the standard stuff out for people. A lot of sounds aren't particularly exciting, but having a solid collection of keys can really make song writing a more dynamic experience
Great idea mate !

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:30 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:25 pm But just for the fun of it, can you explain the embarrassment about proposing a resynthesis feature ?
I am the wrong person to ask, I find no issue talking about the need to accept reality that the earth is round and Dawsome Myth needs samples to be fully functional

I am not the employee of the company that made a plugin that is based on Resynthesis trying to minimize that fact

But you do you
How many times does it need to be said that Myth is “fully functional” without the Irises.

I made a “fully functional” patch using a short noise burst into the resonator. No Irises were used.

I made a variation of the same patch with one of the irises with a resynthesised pizzicato pluck into the orbit module.

The point here is that you have various generators, processors and effects to make all kinds of sounds.

The resynthesis aspect is a component within that. It’s extreme useful too.

kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:15 am How many times does it need to be said that Myth is “fully functional” without the Irises.
Only it's not. The Irises are an important part of the synth itself

Can you skip over them and not use that functionality? Sure you can but you are not using the full functionality of the synth at that point are you

There is zero reason to buy Myth and not use all of its functions and it needs the Irises to be fully functional

IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:44 am
kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:15 am How many times does it need to be said that Myth is “fully functional” without the Irises.
Only it's not. The Irises are an important part of the synth itself

Can you skip over them and not use that functionality? Sure you can but you are not using the full functionality of the synth at that point are you

There is zero reason to buy Myth and not use all of its functions and it needs the Irises to be fully functional
I think the criteria for a synth being "fully functional" is that it can make a sound based on the user input.

As I said above, I made a patch with the wave generator in noise mode with a really quick envelope into a modal filter that follows the keyboard input. Am extra filter and a few effects and I have what I would consider a fully functional synth. I could have added any number of the processors.

I made a follow up patch with one of the irises with a pizzicato violin as my starting point and blended that with the resonator.

The Irises are a very powerful feature of the synth but they are not the synth itself.

Myth, as I've said before, is more of a semi-modular synth with a lot of options.

Things like the Orbit modifier, the BTTF, the Atari Punk, the weird physis in the comb filter etc. etc.

There's a ton of thing there. Focusing on the Irises (which in themselves are a fantastic basis for sound design) is short sighted, imho.

kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:49 am I do agree with Databroth that you should always buy a synth based on what it is now but a few added features to existing synths definitely cultivates excitement and maintains interest over a longer time.
Yeah, definitely. I'm demoing myth atm and while it looks like a fully featured synth already, there is always room for improvement. The sound design guys always come up with some 'if we had this we would be able to do that' ideas, and the product being used by more people will inevitably bring up QoL stuff. Sometimes even the devs release new features that nobody knew they needed before. It helps to 'stay relevant'.
Looking at dawesomes portfolio the products look cool and innovative, but I simply don't need several new synths. I don't have the the time to learn using them so I'd rather buy one synth that hopefully keeps getting better over the years, like dune or zebra. And asking for an update fee for substantial new features is just fair and expected, we all have to earn a living :shrug:

kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:18 pm
I think the criteria for a synth being "fully functional" is that it can make a sound based on the user input.
Awesome so you would buy Minimoog only use one of its three oscillators, don't use anything for modulation and open the filter up all the way so it's not being used

To you that is using all of it

Perhaps since you want to argue semantics, you would prefer the term "fully utilized" over "fully functional"

In any case one of the main features of Myth is Resynthesis and that requires samples to work

It's silly to argue or pretend otherwise

But again you can buy a Juno and not use the Chorus and make sounds but it misses the point entirely

For the life of me I don't get why the biggest cheerleaders of Myth want to ignore the Irises and Resynthesis and pretend they don't exist

In doing so it's they acknowledge that Myth sucks when you utilize all of its features as intended

Apparently it's so bad that employees from the company now want pretend the Resynthesis and the Irises and all of that functionality doesn't exist. It's absurd and if you state the obvious you are called a troll and people feel the need to argue semantics instead of dealing with reality

Dawsome should have just released a synth without Resynthesis or the Irises of they are such a non factor but they didn't

I wonder if face-palm or roll-eye or both...

Return to “Instruments”