Do you know all effects types in detail or do you outsource some?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Then I don't understand how Melda's reverbs can compete with Valhalla's or Relab's or how Melda's distortions can compete with Soundtoys'. Time and pitch effects are easier, IMO. There are good libraries.

Yes, a single Relab reverb at $199 but multiple Melda's at around the same price. These cannot be the same things. Or they could, and the rest is just cosmetics and packaging like in other markets.

Free yourself from trying to correlate price, effort, capacity, individual capability, brand perception and more in any meaningful way. There are plenty of ways to do things and run a business. It's all multi-dimensional AND nonlinear. In other words chaotic. You can't comprehend chaos with linear first-order one-dimensional thinking.

Then the question would be about feasibilities of being like Melda.

I sort of think that the strategies are just different. Melda is maybe trying to be seen as "give all for a great price" while the others are trying to make individual products seem unique.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 am Then I don't understand how Melda's reverbs can compete with Valhalla's or Relab's or how Melda's distortions can compete with Soundtoys'. Time and pitch effects are easier, IMO. There are good libraries.

Yes, a single Relab reverb at $199 but multiple Melda's at around the same price. These cannot be the same things. Or they could, and the rest is just cosmetics and packaging like in other markets.
Define 'can compete with' for all qualititive metrics, all circumstances and all end-user preferences.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 am Then the question would be about feasibilities of being like Melda.
Feasible for who?

Feasible for some one person on average.

Given the amount of DSP literature I have a hard time believing Melda really had studied all of them. E.g. because not all designs work.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:17 am Feasible for some one person on average.
On average, then, yes for about 50% of 'some'

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:09 am
soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 am Then I don't understand how Melda's reverbs can compete with Valhalla's or Relab's or how Melda's distortions can compete with Soundtoys'. Time and pitch effects are easier, IMO. There are good libraries.

Define 'can compete with' for all qualititive metrics, all circumstances and all end-user preferences.
Is this about confirming that they cannot be the same level sound-wise?

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:17 am Feasible for some one person on average.

Given the amount of DSP literature I have a hard time believing Melda really had studied all of them. E.g. because not all designs work.
Given the amount of DSP literature I have a hard time believing that you think anyone really studied all of them.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 am Is this about confirming that they cannot be the same level sound-wise?
You're asking me what you actually mean?

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 am
But Melda seems more like a 5% thing.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am

Given the amount of DSP literature I have a hard time believing that you think anyone really studied all of them.
It sounds hardly possible, because, as I said, professional grant researchers usually cannot do this. Or can only for a narrow set of sub-topics. Such as, in this case, for example:
  • pitch detectors or a particular branch of pitch detectors (e.g. stochastic)
  • ray-tracing in early reflection simulations
  • time-varying equalizers.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:44 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am

It sounds hardly possible, because, as I said, professional grant researchers usually cannot do this. Or can only for a narrow set of sub-topics. Such as, in this case, for example:
  • pitch detectors or a particular branch of pitch detectors (e.g. stochastic)
  • ray-tracing in early reflection simulations
  • time-varying equalizers.
which means?

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:23 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 am
But Melda seems more like a 5% thing.
As random percentages that mean nothing go, that one is 10% of the other one.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:23 am But Melda seems more like a 5% thing.
Please please please do yourself a favor and stop wasting your time trying to theoreticize the act of running an audio software business. It seems obvious that you are contemplating to start *something*, but it also seems you are stuck in a severe case of analysis paralysis (correct me if I'm wrong). It all doesn't matter.

I'll repeat my earlier advice to you: Build something, and you will understand.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”